MY ONLINE COOKBOOK OF FAVORITE RECIPES

Saturday, July 7, 2007

THE BEST CARROT CAKE

From Valerie Johnson:

3 eggs

3/4C veg oil

3/4C buttermilk

2C flour

2C sugar

2tsp baking soda

3 tsp cinn

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp van extract

2 1/2C finely shredded carrot

1 1/4C raisins (I used white raisins)

1 8oz can crushed pineapple

1 C chopped walnuts

1 C coconut

1. In large bowl beat eggs,oil and buttermilk.

2.Combine flour sugar baking soda cinnamon,salt,add to egg mixture and mix well.

3. Stir in vanilla,carrots,raisins,pineapple,walnuts ,coconut,mix well.

4. Pour into greased 13 x 9 pan. I used 2 round cake pans ( or spring form)

5.Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. If you use the round pans it will take less time about 30 -40 minutes. Just keep an eye on it and as soon as the pick comes out clean get it out and be careful not to overbake.

6. cool

Frosting

1 8 oz cream cheese

2TBS butter

2 TBSP cream (can use milk)

1 TSP vanilla

3-3 1/2 C powdered sugar

Beat ingredients together til smooth (if necessary add a little more powdered sugar) If you split the cakes in half as I did I doubled the frosting. I split the cakes in half. I spread them with apricot preserves, could use jam I suppose and some frosting. When the cakes were assembled than I frosted the whole thing. I made some orange and green frosting and made carrots on top and sprinkled walnuts on the sides.

No comments: